Enlarge (credit: Chesnot/Getty Images)
Google’s dispute with France’s privacy watchdog over a call to apply “right to be forgotten” rules globally to some Web links will be weighed by Europe’s top court—three years after it told the ad giant to comply with an order to remove old, out of date, or irrelevant listings from its powerful search index, so long as they weren’t found to be in the public interest.

French data regulator, the CNIL (Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés), previously called on Google to globally delist certain search results, in a move that inflamed a row over the European Union’s right to be forgotten landmark 2014 ruling. Last year, the multinational said it would appeal against CNIL’s order, which included a €100,000 fine for failing to remove certain links from its global search results.
On Wednesday, it was confirmed that the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) will rule on whether certain links should be scrubbed from search engine results worldwide, across the EU, or on a country-by-country basis.
It comes after France’s supreme administrative court—the Conseil d’Etat—had asked the CJEU to intervene in the fracas between Google and CNIL.
Read 8 remaining paragraphs

Leave a Reply