6 C
London
Wednesday, November 22, 2017
Home Tags Top-secret

Tag: top-secret

Ooh, IT just got real Analysis  The NSA staffer who took home top-secret US government spyware installed a backdoored key generator for a pirated copy of Microsoft Office on his PC – exposing the confidential cyber-weapons on the computer to hackers.… ...
Hackers used companyrsquo;s software to secretly scan for top-secret information, WSJ says.
Transcript reveals leaker's motivations Reality Winner smuggled a top-secret NSA dossier out of her office at a US government IT contractor by hiding it in her pantyhose, she told special agents.…
Director of Pacific Rim and Panrsquo;s Labyrinth is back with an interspecies love story.
Brutal Kangaroo jumps network breaks, according to leaked classified info WikiLeaks has published online more top-secret documents it has obtained from the CIA describing the agency's hacking tools.

This time the dossier details software codenamed Brutal Kangaroo that agents can use to infect targets' air-gapped computers with malware.…
Top-secret NSA report leaked by now-arrested federal contractor to journalists shows levels to which Russian hacking machine targeted US election.
US prosecutors list dossiers and code allegedly swiped Former Booz Allen Hamilton contractor Harold Thomas Martin III allegedly stole secret and top-secret software and documents from American intelligence agencies for up to 20 years.

That's according to a federal grand jury indictment revealed today.…
Enlarge / Julian Assange's Wikileaks is shocked—shocked—that someone would leak secrets for political reasons.Ben Stansall/AFP via Getty Images reader comments 200 Share this story On Thursday, NBC News broadcast a report claiming to have exclusive details from the top-secret version of the intelligence community report on Russian hacking and information warfare activities delivered to President Barack Obama—a report scheduled to be delivered by intelligence officials to President-elect Donald Trump today. The NBC report followed a Washington Post report based on information from anonymous “US officials” about intercepted communications between Russian leaders celebrating Donald Trump’s election as a victory. The NBC report drew an instant rebuke via Twitter from Trump. WikiLeaks, which has previously published leaked highly classified US intelligence data, cried foul over the leaks. How did NBC get "an exclusive look into the top secret report he (Obama) was presented?" Who gave them this report and why? Politics! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2017 The Obama admin/CIA is illegally funneling TOP SECRET//COMINT information to NBC for political reasons before PEOTUS even gets to read it. — WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) January 6, 2017 The parade of leaks regarding the US intelligence assessment about Russian hacking is notable given the Obama administration’s past crackdown on leaks, which has included a record number of prosecutions against those leaking information to journalists. The leaks are likely motivated by Trump’s frequent dismissal of official intelligence community statements regarding the alleged involvement of the Russian government in the hacking and dissemination of information from the Democratic National Committee and the Clinton campaigns. According to the NBC report, the 50-plus page classified version of the intelligence community report details Russian digital espionage operations dating as far back as 2008, including the breach of e-mail systems at the White House, State Department, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and US corporations, in addition to the attacks focused on the DNC and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign. Those details would present a more complete picture of the various "threat groups" lumped into the recent FBI/Department of Homeland Security Joint Analysis Report as "Grizzly Steppe." President Obama has not yet received the report, but he was given a briefing on its contents on Thursday. A final Top Secret, Compartmented Information version of the report will be delivered to cleared members of the administration and the Trump transition team today; Congress will receive a classified version of the report on Monday, and an unclassified version is expected to be made public early next week. Early today, in an interview with the New York Times, Trump referred to the intelligence community's focus on the Russian hacking a politically-motivated attack against him. Referencing the breach of the Office of Personnel Management, Trump said, “China, relatively recently, hacked 20 million government names, How come nobody even talks about that? This is a political witch hunt.”
Enlarge / US President-elect Donald Trump speaks during the USA Thank You Tour December 9, 2016 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.Don Emmert / Getty Images News reader comments 145 Share this story President-elect Donald Trump has continued to flaunt reported assessments by the CIA that the Russian government specifically helped his campaign win the presidential election, calling them "ridiculous." One of Trump’s top advisors, Kellyanne Conway, also dubbed them "laughable and ridiculous" on CBS’s "Face the Nation" on Sunday. On Friday evening, The Washington Post reported that the CIA has "concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the US electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter." Shortly after the Post published, the Presidential Transition Team sent out a statement to Ars and other media on Friday at 9:35pm ET, essentially mocking the intelligence community: These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history. It’s now time to move on and "Make America Great Again." On Saturday, The New York Times quoted Gen. Michael Hayden, the former director of the National Security Agency and the CIA under President George W. Bush, as expressing shock that Trump would so wantonly dismiss the opinion of the intelligence community. "To have the president-elect of the United States simply reject the fact-based narrative that the intelligence community puts together because it conflicts with his a priori assumptions—wow," he said. In October 2016, just a month before the election, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Department of Homeland Security publicly said that Russian-led "thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process." Check the record book On Fox News Sunday, Trump made his "ridiculous" remark, calling the report "just another excuse." "I don’t believe it," he said. "I don’t know why—and, I think it’s—they talked about all sorts of things. Every week it’s another excuse. We had a massive landslide victory, as you know, in the electoral college. I guess the final numbers are down to 306 and she was at a very low number." Trump did not win the electoral college by a "landslide." Electoral records show that his margin of victory in the electoral college was 46th out of 56 elections. "If you look at the story and you take a look at what they said, 'there’s great confusion, nobody really knows,'" Trump continued. "And hacking is very interesting. Once they hack, if you don’t catch them in the act, you’re not going to catch them. They have no idea if it’s Russia or China, or somebody. It could be somebody sitting in a bed someplace. They have no idea." During the same interview, Trump also reportedly said that as president he would not receive the top-secret President’s Daily Briefing. Currently, the president-elect is reportedly only receiving it once a week. Trump continued in his interview with Fox News Sunday that Vice President-elect Mike Pence, would receive the PDB in his place, largely because Trump finds it too repetitive. "You know, I’m, like, a smart person," he said. "I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years." "Now, there will be times where it might change," he said in the interview with Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace. "I mean, there will be some very fluid situations. I'll be there not every day, but more than that. But I don't need to be told, Chris, the same thing every day, every morning — same words. 'Sir, nothing has changed. Let's go over it again.' I don't need that." Sound the alarm Also on Sunday, a bipartisan group of four senators, including Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona), the chair of the Senate’s Armed Services Committee, released a joint statement saying that "reports of Russian interference in our election should alarm every American." The statement continued: Congress’s national security committees have worked diligently to address the complex challenge of cybersecurity, but recent events show that more must be done. While protecting classified material, we have an obligation to inform the public about recent cyberattacks that have cut to the heart of our free society. Democrats and Republicans must work together, and across the jurisdictional lines of the Congress, to examine these recent incidents thoroughly and devise comprehensive solutions to deter and defend against further cyberattacks. This cannot become a partisan issue. The stakes are too high for our country. We are committed to working in this bipartisan manner, and we will seek to unify our colleagues around the goal of investigating and stopping the grave threats that cyberattacks conducted by foreign governments pose to our national security. The press contact listed, Dustin Walker, did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.
EnlargeKlaus with K reader comments 1 Share this story A former IT specialist at Expedia has admitted he used his privileged position to access executives' e-mails in an insider stock-trading scheme that netted almost $330,000 in illegal profits, p...
EnlargePaul J. Richards / Getty Images News reader comments 47 Share this story Defense attorneys representing Harold Martin, the former National Security Agency contractor accused of stealing a vast quantity of classified materials, have asked a more senior judge to review the decision that kept their client in federal custody. On Tuesday, Martin’s federal public defenders filed a “motion to review detention order,” asking US District Judge Richard D.

Bennett to overrule his more junior colleague’s decision last Friday to keep Martin behind bars. In August, when Martin was arrested, investigators seized 50 terabytes' worth of data and many other printed and classified documents from Martin’s home in suburban Maryland.
If all of this data was indeed classified, it would be the largest such heist from the NSA, far larger than what former contractor Edward Snowden took. During last week's hearing, James Wyda, one of Martin’s lawyers, told US Magistrate Judge A.

David Copperthite that his client “is not Edward Snowden. He's not someone who, due to political ideas or philosophical ideas or moral principles, thinks he knows better than everybody else.” However, Wyda did not put forward a clear argument as to why his client was found with so much classified material in his home and his car. In the Tuesday filing, Wyda again argued for Martin’s release, saying, “The only consideration before the Court will be whether there is a ‘serious risk’ that Mr. Martin will fail to appear for court appearances if he is released.” Risky business Prior to the October 21 detention hearing, prosecutors told US Magistrate Judge A.

David Copperthite that Martin, who held top-secret clearance while he was a contractor at Booz Allen Hamilton, could flee the US or perhaps be targeted or abducted by a foreign power.

The feds also noted that they would be seeking to prosecute him under the Espionage Act. (Martin was fired from his job and was stripped of his clearance once his criminal prosecution surfaced.) Judge Copperthite found the government’s arguments convincing, calling Martin’s release a “serious risk to the public" and ordering him to remain in custody pending trial. In the new filing, Wyda reiterated his earlier arguments to Judge Bennett, underscoring that his client would continue to make appearances before the court, as he has “strong ties” to Maryland, the state where Martin lives and where the NSA is based. The lawyer concluded: For these and other reasons that will be discussed at a hearing on this motion, Mr. Martin respectfully requests release pending trial subject to any conditions the Court finds appropriate to reasonably assure his appearance in Court, such as 24-7 electronic home monitoring, no use of computers or the Internet, no firearms, no alcohol, and an alcohol monitoring device. Judge Bennett will hold a hearing on the matter this Friday, October 28, at 2:30pm ET in federal court in Baltimore.
EnlargeUlrich Baumgarten / Getty Images News reader comments 41 Share this story The federal public defenders for Harold Martin, the former National Security Agency contractor accused of stealing a large amount of highly classified data and documents, asked the judge to release their client on bail in a late Thursday evening court filing. Earlier on Thursday, prosecutors told US Magistrate Judge Beth P. Gesner that Martin is a flight risk and should be kept in custody. In their own filing, the government argued that Martin, who held top-secret clearance while he was a contractor at Booz Allen Hamilton, is a flight risk. The feds noted that they would be seeking to prosecute him under the Espionage Act. (Martin was fired from his job and was stripped of his clearance once his criminal prosecution surfaced.) In the three-page response, Martin’s lawyers, James Wyda and Deborah Boardman, argued that Martin “does not pose a serious risk of flight.” They note that in a slew of similar cases, including those that involved Gen. David Petraeus and former high-level NSA official Thomas Drake, the accused was not detained pending trial. The defense team continued: The government concocts fantastical scenarios in which Mr. Martin—who, by the government’s own admission, does not possess a valid passport—would attempt to flee the country. Mr. Martin’s wife is here in Maryland. His home is here in Maryland. He has served this country honorably as a lieutenant in the United States Navy, and he has devoted his entire career to serving his country. There is no evidence he intended to betray his country. The government simply does not meet its burden of showing that no conditions of release would reasonably assure Mr. Martin’s future appearance in court. For these reasons, and additional reasons to be discussed at the detention hearing, Mr. Martin should be released on conditions pending trial. Martin is set to appear before Judge Gesner Friday afternoon in Baltimore. UPDATE 4:27pm ET: According to WJZ reporter Mike Hellgren, the judge ordered Martin to remain in custody. Defense attorney James Wyda characterized his client as "a hoarder."